According to the CDC, hand sanitizer containing alcohol of at least 60% is viable to prevent the spread of illness.
Dr. Rishi Desai, chief medical officer of Osmosis and a former epidemic intelligence service officer in the division of viral diseases at the CDC, says that the hand sanitizer recipe below will kill 99.9 percent of germs after 60 seconds.
- Isopropyl or Rubbing Alcohol (99 percent alcohol volume)
- Aloe Vera Gel
- Essential Oil, such as lavender oil, or you can use lemon juice instead.
*Please take note; Alcohol to Aloe Vera proportion should be minimum 2:1 (2 cups of Alcohol should take 1 cup of Aloe Vera). This keeps the alcohol content around 60 percent and is good enough needed to kill most germs and also to prevent the spread of illness.
Hand Sanitizer Recipe:
- 3/4 cup of isopropyl or rubbing alcohol (99 percent)
- 1/4 cup of aloe vera gel (to help keep your hands smooth and to counteract the harshness of alcohol)
- 10 drops of essential oil, such as lavender oil, or you can use lemon juice instead
- Pour all ingredients into a bowl, ideally one with a pouring spout like a glass measuring container.
- Mix with a spoon and then beat with a whisk to turn the sanitizer into a gel.
- Pour the ingredients into an empty bottle for easy use, and label it “hand sanitizer.”
Important Things to Remember
- Make the hand sanitizer in a clean space. Wipe down countertops with a diluted bleach solution beforehand.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before making the hand sanitizer.
- To mix, use a clean spoon and whisk. Wash these items thoroughly before using them.
- Make sure the alcohol used for the hand sanitizer is not diluted.
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly until they are well blended.
- Do not touch the mixture with your hands until it is ready for use.
***As easy as it is to make your own hand sanitizer, you should be aware that rubbing alcohol in high quantities can damage your skin. Make sure you stick to the 2:1 proportion to keep the alcohol content around 60%. You can also use gloves while mixing and follow up sanitization with hand moisturizer.
**Although hand sanitizers can be an effective way of getting rid of germs, health authorities still recommend hand washing whenever possible to keep your hands free of disease-causing viruses and other germs. Also avoid touching your mouth, eyes, and nose and remember to wash your hands after touching your phone, before and after using the toilet, after opening and closing the door and as often as possible.
I hope you found this post useful and that you have been able or that you are making plans to Prepare your own Hand Sanitizer using the step by step guide above.
Drop any questions you may have in the comments section below and I will respond as soon as I can. Remember to like share and subscribe to our Social Media channels (links sidebar and footer). @KwikHacks